These are a few suggestions that can be helpful to motivate adult learners-
- The syllabus/curriculum has to match with their requirement.
- Let them come up with their own experiences related to the appropriate teaching.
- Show how their learning can be put in immediate usage.
- Let them take control; allow them to choose their own assignment by giving them a few choices. (E.g. Dr. MacDonald is going to drop the lowest scored assignment)
- Instructor can discuss the requirements of the learners (adult) and prepare their class around it. (E.g. I had once enrolled in a professional course. The instructor used to give 4-5 topics to us to be discussed in the next class and asked us to select any of them and mail her at the end of the current week. She would discuss that particular topic which is in more demand among the learners.)
Overall, make the learners get involved throughout the teaching. Adult learners need to feel they are important.